The Lesotho Mounted Police Service was established on the 26th October 1872 and it was known as Basutoland Mounted Police with the strength of 110 men who were mainly the sons of local chiefs. The magistrates also served as police officers.
The police duties were mainly to support and protect magistrates and to act as interpreters and messengers. By 1878 the police adapted military ranks but changed in 1958 to police ranks. The police strength expanded to 1074 men as more responsibilities were added.